Building Legal Solutions

Complaints Procedure


If you are dissatisfied with the service that we provide in any way please speak to one of the partners – preferably the one responsible for the matter(s) we are handling for you. We will, of course, do our utmost to address your concerns. If we are unable to do so, however, we do have a formal complaints procedure and will be pleased to provide a copy on request.

There is also a complaints service within the legal profession operated by the Legal Ombudsman. There are restrictions to this service, however, in that it is available to individuals and certain small concerns only. For more details on the availability of this service:


If you do qualify for the Legal Ombudsman’s service they will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. In normal circumstances they will expect us to have concluded our complaints handling process within eight weeks of your raising your making a complaint to us. When we have done so they will then expect you to take your complaint to them:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint, and
  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

Getting Started

There are alternative schemes which are available for complaints handling processes such as ProMediate. We can provide further information on these services if you wish but both you and we would need to agree to use them and it is unlikely that we would do so.

In addition, and regardless of your profile as a client, the Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour or professional standards. Clearly, we hope that this never be the case but if such concerns should arise you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Finally, if you are a client with whom we have made a contract by electronic means, you may be entitled to use an EU online dispute resolution service to assist with any contractual dispute you may have with us. Should this be the case and you wish to do so that service can be found at